Sunday, March 21, 2010

My talk: It Gave Me A Little Peace..

On Tuesday I got a call from brother young. He asked if I would be willing to give a talk on Sunday, I told him I would love to. He then asked what I would want to talk about. Without any hesitation I told him I wanted to speak on the atonement. This has always been one of my favorite topics and has always meant so much to me and it has always had a special place in my heart. But I didn’t realize how much more it could mean to me, until just recently. On March 19 2010 about three pm, there was a car accident. The driver fell asleep at the wheel while driving on the highway and drove off the road. The car rolled several times landing on its roof and ejected the driver and the passenger. The driver was pronounced dead on scene and the passenger was life flighted to the Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital in St. Louis. The driver of that car was one of my friends from Missouri. I lived there before moving here almost three years ago. My friend wasn’t a member of the church and didn’t live his life in the best way he could have. then before he knew it his life was gone. Just like that. Even though this has been so hard for not only me, but his other friends and family as well, I am so grateful for the knowledge I have of the atonement and that because of it I now that everyone will have a chance to not only hear the gospel, but also return to live with our heavenly father. Because of the atonement, I know things will be ok. Because of the suffering our lord Jesus Christ went through, justice was satisfied, and it enabled all of us to have the opportunity to gain eternal progression and return to our heavenly father. As M Russell Ballard said, “There is no greater expression of love than the heroic Atonement performed by the Son of God. Were it not for the plan of our Heavenly Father, established before the world began, in a very real sense, all mankind—past, present, and future—would have been left without the hope of eternal progression.” Because of the fall of Adam and eve, we were all separated from God and we all would always be separated unless there was a way found to break the bands of death. This required one who was sinless before others and could take on all the sins of mankind. this required one who would be willing to give a great sacrifice and suffer for all the sins of every single person who lived on this earth. This holy and sacred thing could only be done by our savior Jesus Christ. He willingly and courageously fulfilled this needed sacrifice In Jerusalem so long ago. It was in the garden of Gethsemane that this courageous selfless act took place. As he knelt by the twisted branches of that olive tree, he prayed mightily to his father in heaven that if there be a way to release him from this cup. But none the less, thy will be done. It was there by that twisted olive tree his disciples fell asleep while he did the greatest thing ever known to man. As he took on the sins of this world for every person who ever did or would live on this earth, he bled from every pore. So great was the pain he endured. But only he was qualified to do this great task and only he would be willing to. He loved us so much he suffered for every sin ever committed and satisfied the demands of justice for each sin. It is said that had any other mortal man tried to do this great task, he would have died not being able to handle the pain. What some may not realize however is that not only did he take on all of our sin, but also all of our emotional sufferings, every heart ache suffered every tear cried he felt exactly as we have. He endured the trials and tribulations that were set into our lives. He experienced spiritual anguish as well. There is not one thing our lord has not felt that you or I have suffered. He knows everything we have gone through and everything we ever will go through. Every doubt every sin every heart ache every feeling of being alone...he knows exactly how we feel and because he has experienced our sufferings, he can be there for us when we need comfort he can give us empathy and peace. He can give comfort for anything you or I have or will endure in this life time. Because of this great atonement, we are never alone in anything life sets before us, the Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost can be a constant companion and comfort to us if we allow them to. If anything seems too hard or know one seems to understand what you are going through I promise you that our savior will. Pray for comfort and for love and for peace because he will give it. I know that. I can testify of that. Our lord suffered willingly so we could be washed clean. M Russell Ballard said, “through having faith in Jesus Christ, repenting of our sins, being baptized by proper priesthood authority, receiving the purifying gift of the Holy Ghost by confirmation, and accepting all other essential ordinances. Without the Atonement of the Lord, none of these blessings would be available to us, and we could not become worthy and prepared to return to dwell in the presence of God.” These sacred ordinances mentioned: baptism by proper priesthood authority, receiving the gift of the holy ghost, and accepting all other essential ordinances, are not only available to the members of this church, but those who have gone before us and have not had the opportunity to receive these ordinances can. Because of the work in the temple, baptisms for the dead and endowments, not one person will go without the opportunity to receive these ordinances and be able to come into and dwell in the presence of god. Our heavenly father will not let one son or one daughter not have the opportunity to receive a chance to recieve these sacred needed ordinances that are neccessary in order to dwell with him again. He loves us so much that he will to all in his power for us to return to him. Jesus our lord and savior loved us so much that he provided a way for us to be with our father again. Their love for us is matchless and pure and undying, there is not anything we could do that could corrupt that love. The atonement, as said before, was the greatest expression of love every to have been done. The atonement however, did not end in the garden of Gethsemane, Our lord, as M Russell Ballard put it, “endured the agony of inquisition, cruel beatings, and death by crucifixion on the cross at Calvary” It was there on that cross that the presence of his father had to leave him and it was there that he felt what is was like to be 100% and totally alone for some of us would experience that as well. ” It was there on that cross that he cried out, My God My God why hast thou forsaken me? ” It was there on that cross that he cried out, My God My God why hast thou forsaken me? He was then pierced in his side and the darkness fell upon the world. For it was done. This sacred ordinance and great expression of love for us was done. He suffered bled and died for us. The hymn I stand all amazed always comes to my mind when i think of this great atonement. It says:
I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me enough to die for me
Oh, it is wonderful
Wonderful to me
I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine
That he should extend his great love unto such as I
Sufficient to own, to redeem and to justify
I think of his hands, pierced and bleeding to pay my debt
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me
Secure in the promise of life in his victory
Thus ransomed from death I will live to my Savior's praise
And sing of his goodness and mercy through endless days
Because of this atonement, none of us ever have to endure anything alone. Because of this wonderful atonement I know my friend will not be denied a chance to live with our god again, because of this atonement I know that we will all have to chance to return to our father above. Because of this great atonement, I know of the matchless love our savior and heavenly father had for each and every one of us. I to stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me. I am so grateful for the atonement because it has given me and everyone else who has lived or will live a chance to be in the presence of our father again. I know this with all my heart and soul

1 comment:

Listen to Smile Today


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones